Saturday, October 6, 2012

Why Blog?

This blog will serve as my lab notebook for any experiments or projects that I undertake. While I don't necessarily have grand hypotheses to test, I would like to at the very least record the smaller hypotheses I make on a daily basis and the processes I go through to test them as I build or repair things. My posts should share the most important things that I learn on any given day that help me achieve my project goals. I would like posts to follow this skeleton (unless I have something random to share)
  1. A problem and my process, apparatus, and solution
  2. One thing I learned
  3. New capabilities I gained from what I learned
  4. Mistakes I made while trying to solve the problem
  5. Strategies for solving a given problem and next steps if no solution is found
  6. Experiment log and results
  7. Diagrams, pictures, and memory aids
  8. Links to relevant resources
I hope that by having a good place to post my work, I will do better about recording my progress and create a good routine. The blog description is loose enough to allow for mathematical content and engineering content, so I'll do my best to post on both subjects. If I include any mathematical expressions, I will post them as images, but you can contact me to receive LaTeX source. Same goes for any programs I post about.